Mark the dates
- Submissions open January 2020
- Submissions deadline: 31 March 2020
- Acceptance/decline notifications: 15 May 2020
- Registration 1 April 2020 – 20 September 2020
- Conference: 2 – 3 November 2020
Educational institutions constitute educational public spaces with explicit and implicit language policies and multiple language practices involving diverse stakeholders. While translanguaging is common in the everyday practices of plurilingual persons, in educational public spaces these practices often still do not receive the attention they warrant.
The Institute for Educational Sciences of the University of Basel and the Schaffhausen University of Teacher Education invite scholars and students to the two-day international conference on “Beyond Multilingualism – Translanguaging in Education” at the University of Basel, Switzerland, 2–3 November 2020.
This conference takes a transdisciplinary approach to translanguaging in education. It examines how translanguaging is perceived, its impact and its implications, especially in the classroom. We are particularly interested in the relationship between everyday linguistic practices and language policies in education.
Invited and Confirmed Keynote Speakers
- Prof. Dr. Angela Creese (University of Stirling) and Prof. Dr. Adrian Blackledge (University of Stirling)
Translanguaging as Everyday Practice
- Prof. Dr. Sari Pietikäinen (University of Jyväskylä)
Cool Assemblages: Beyond Multilingualism in the Arctic Economic Hotspots
- Prof. Dr. Claudine Kirsch (University of Luxembourg)
Opening Minds to a Translanguaging Pedagogy: Perspectives from Nursery and Primary Teachers in Luxemburg
- Prof. Dr. Leketi Makalela (University of the Witwatersrand)
Title to be announced
Conference organized by the Institute for Educational Sciences (University of Basel) in cooperation with the Schaffhausen University of Teacher Education.
2 – 3 November 2020
University of Basel
Institute for Educational Sciences
4132 Muttenz (near Basel)